Right to Repair
As a Larkfield tenant you have the right to have certain small repairs carried out within a given timescale.
This is called the ‘Right to Repair’ and is part the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001.
What does Right to Repair cover?
The scheme covers certain repairs up to the value of £350.
The qualifying repairs are listed below:
- Unsafe power or lighting sockets or electrical fittings
- Loss or partial loss of electrical power, gas or water supply
- A blocked flue to an open fire or boiler
- External windows, doors or locks which are not secure
- Loss or partial loss of space or water heating if no alternative heating is available
- Toilets which do not flush (if there is no other toilet in the house)
- Blocked or leaking foul drains, soil stacks or toilet pans (if there is no other toilet in the house)
- Blocked sink, bath or basin
- Significant leaking or flooding from a water or heating pipe, tank or cistern
- Unsafe rotten timber flooring or stair treads
- Unsafe access to a path or step
- Loose or detached banisters or handrails
- Broken mechanical extractor fan in a kitchen or bathroom, which has no external window, or door.
How does it work?
When you report a repair we will let you know whether it is a qualifying repair.
Repair times depend on the type of repair and we will tell you the maximum time allowed to carry out the repair.
For example, we have one working day to repair your toilet if it is not flushing but we have three working days to repair a loose banister. These timescales are set down by legislation not by Larkfield.
If our usual contractor does not start the qualifying repair within the time limit set, you can tell another contractor from our approved contractors list to carry out the repair.
We will then pay you £15.00 compensation for the inconvenience. If you are in arrears of rent, we may offset the compensation against arrears.
Please do not contact a second contractor unless you have a case to do so as you may be recharged for the call out.
How do I find out more?
If you wish to find out more about the Right to Repair scheme please contact us.